The Best Way To Keep Your Teeth Healthy At Home
Want to know how to get healthy teeth and gums? Don’t worry, it’s not that hard. While you can’t control everything that happens to your teeth, there’s a lot you can do to keep your mouth – and your smile – in the best possible shape. So, to help you out, here’s a rundown of the best ways to keep your teeth healthy and white at home year-round.
1. Brush your teethAlways brush your teeth twice a day, preferably in the morning and just before bed. Brush around each tooth in a circular motion, but don’t go too hard or else you could damage your teeth! When was the last time you changed your toothbrush? If it was over 3 months ago, switch it out for a new one – change your toothbrush at regular intervals.
2. Floss dailyBrushing is a great start, but to make sure you really clean your whole mouth, you need to floss daily. It’s a great way to remove plaque, prevent gum inflammation, and stop bad breath in its tracks. There’s a right way to floss, so let’s break it down.
- Pull the string down between your teeth until it goes just under the gum line.
- “Hug” the floss against each tooth and slowly move up and down a few times.
3. Use the right toothpasteCheck your toothpaste. Does it have fluoride in it? Make sure the answer’s yes. Fluoride reduces your risk of tooth decay by strengthening your tooth enamel, so always buy fluoride toothpaste.
4. Use a mouthwashWhile it’s not essential, a daily mouthwash really helps ensure you clean your whole mouth. Aim to rinse once or twice a day, ideally around the same time as you brush. You can buy alcohol-free mouthwash to avoid any burning sensations.
5. Cut back on sugarSugar can increase your risk of cavities, so reach for a glass of water rather than sugary drinks. If you must drink something sweet, try to drink it at mealtimes and brush your teeth afterwards. Avoid sugary, sweet foods like candy – they can stick to your teeth and cause tooth decay.
6. Avoid coffee and wineDark drinks like coffee and red wine stain your teeth, which affects your smile’s appearance. If you’re trying to keep your teeth white at home, stick to light-coloured drinks. That said, if you’re concerned about tooth discolouration, contact your dentist about teeth whitening services.
7. Stop smokingThe best way to keep your teeth healthy and white? Stop smoking. Here’s why.
- Smoking stains your teeth and turns them yellow.
- It coats your tongue, too, which leads to bad breath.
- Worst of all, smoking makes you more prone to gum disease and other oral conditions.